Friday, September 12, 2008

Friday Challenge

Hello, welcome to my blog today. Are you up for a challenge?

Have we ever been in a room full of people and join in conversation and say something that is so not cool?

Have we ever said something rude or demanding out of impatience to someone?

Have we ever said something that crushed our child’s spirit?

Have we ever disrespected our husband by saying something to a friend about him?

Have we ever said something, and then thought, ‘where did that come from?’


Today’s challenge is about asking God to "go there" with you today, down to the heart of the matter. You see we don’t just blurt these little things out, they have a source, and they all come from the heart.


You brood of vipers, how can you who are evil say anything good? For out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks. The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in him, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in him. But I tell you that men will have to give account on the day of judgment for every careless word they have spoken. For by your words you will be acquitted, and by your words you will be condemned." Matthew 12:34-37


He reminds us that what we say reveals what is in our hearts. You see we can’t fix our heart problem by cleaning up our speech or changing the words that come out of our mouth. We must allow God to change our hearts.

May we allow Him to "go there" and cleanse our speech at its source.

13 comments:

Sue J. said...

I do love your heart focus these days. That's where it's at. The double-edged sword needs to be at work in my heart, because an inconsistent witness is like no witness whatsoever. A challenge for today (and days to come), indeed!

ThreeGirlyGirls said...

Ouch! You struck a nerve with my soul girly!! Thank you, I needed it. It's a challenge that's for sure!!

Thank you for your sweet words and thank you for supporting my sweet friend Cindy so much! I know she appreciates it!!

Runner Mom said...

Great post! I truly need Him to do a number on my heart at times. I pray about this daily :), and I believe that's what we have to do to have a pure heart.

Love ya,
Susan

BTW, I have been wondering just how many pairs of shoes do you have? Your blog picture just makes me smile!!! :)

Kimberly said...

So good! I so often want to be able to fix the problem at my mouth....if I could just hold my tongue. But you are so right. This is a heart problem!

I am praying for God to do a work on the source of my problem! Thanks for this challenge!

Love and blessings,
K

The Patterson 5 said...

I definately need to meet this challenge. God has lots of heart work over here as most of the time my feet (both of them) are in my mouth. Thanks for the heart check!

♪♪Melody♪♪ and Puddin said...

I loved your post. It is so true and is something I have to work on a lot. PS. I read your post about the guy with no past dental hygiene. that was great too.

Sonya Lee Thompson said...

So, today we must be transformed by the Word of God! Amen!

Nicole said...

"We can't fix our heart problem by cleaning up our speech..." Amen! and Amen! I love this quote. So true. I am all about getting to the ROOT of the problem. In this case and I'm sure many others it all goes back to our hearts. Thank you for your words. They were a confirmation for me today!

Love,
Nicole

Kelly said...

Above all else, guard your heart,
for it is the wellspring of life.
Put away perversity from your mouth; keep corrupt talk far from your lips. Proverbs 4:23, 24

It definitely pops out of our heart and then out of our mouths. Mine is usually an attempt to be funny...at someone else's expense. I'll say it and then think *dang* I'll bet that hurt their feelings. But I'm working on it.

Edie said...

This is an area in my life that God has had to work on for a lot of years. It's coming along but I find that the tongue is a hard one to control.

My ADHD Me said...

OK, Now I KNOW you are talking to me!

ThreeGirlyGirls said...

hey girl! doing a giveaway you may like! check it out! =)

Krista said...

Wow! I so needed to read that! Excellent scripture to think on today. I was not home Friday and didn't make it to blog world all weekend...so that will have to be a Monday challenge for me! I am reading a book right now and inviting the Lord to change my heart. Thanks for sharing!

Allowing Him to "Go there,"
Krista