Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Keep the gloves on and turn the other cheek

I love to watch hockey. I love the noise, I love the cold crispness of the air in the rink, and I love to hear the ice skates race up and down the rink. I also love to watch my husband play hockey and cheer him on from the sidelines. And one thing I find very interesting is that when my husband throws on all his gear to play and his skates hit the ice he morphs into another person. He goes from conflict resisting turn the other cheek to…. lets just say he has led his team in the past for penalty minutes and made himself a cozy little spot for himself inside “the box”.



The past few weeks have been a very rough game for us. We are wearing all the right equipment and yet we are ready for a timeout…please ref blow the whistle!! It is very clear to me that the other team doesn’t play by the same rules. Yet God has whispered to my heart, ‘yeah I know that, but remember you are on my team and I wrote the “rules”’ Yes the game is hard, so skate hard! For we have been checked multiples times up against the boards and the game is not over yet.



Have you ever seen Scripture lived out? I have and it has to be one of the most beautiful things. For my husband is doing just that. While I am ready to rip off my gloves and starting swinging…oh and yelling…and pulling the jerseys over the heads of the opponents…he is keeping his gloves on and turning the other cheek! My teammate is living out Gods grace…thanks babe for teaching this rookie a few things!! For my husband knows the game, and he knows when to play by the rules!

We are committed to play this one out, as we know that we get more than the Stanley Cup in the end…we get to sit with the Coach and have one huge after game party!



Thank you for sitting in the stands, cheering for us!

12 comments:

Kelly said...

I just loved this post! What a great analogy about "life." Yes, I often want to rip my gloves off too! But praise God for the example of Jesus (and husband's) of turning the other cheek.

Really great writing today!

The Patterson 5 said...

I love the part about sitting with the Coach at the end! May this rough time be over soon! I will keep praying for you and your family.

Kimberly said...

You know I love you and I am praying for you...so I hope you won't mind me teasing you a little...I'm just praying you don't lose any teeth. Are you wearing a mouth guard? Your smile just wouldn't quite look the same with some gaps. :)

Seriously though, I am praying, friend, and I am so glad you have such an awesome teammate as a husband to encourage you and that you have the ultimate Coach! Remember that He isn't just your coach, He's your Defender, too.
Love to you,
K

Anonymous said...

"Put me in coach, I'm ready to play"
Endurance till the end my little one and you will see his blessing. Praying for you, knowing God knows the final score. I love you and you do have an awesome teammate which is a huge blessing that God has given you in Steve.
Love, Hugs and Prayers
Mom

achildoftheking said...

As a past athlete I totally relate to this analogy.

I love it.

I'm ready to have an after game party with "The Coach".

Kristen said...

I absolutely loved this post! What a wonderful analogy! Yes... we are on the winning team and we have the greatest coach ever!!! You my friend, have a dear,
God-loving husband and I am praising Him today for the gift He has given you!!!

Joyful said...

The analogy here truly is wonderful.

This morning the key verse in my devotional was from Revelation 2:10. It talked about times of testing coming, but if we remain faithful we will receive the crown of life. Praying the Lord will help you remain faithful, making choices that honour and give testimony to Him, even when the 'checking' hurts physically and emotionally. Play on my friend, play on. The Game isn't over yet.

Cheering you on,
Joy

Princess, Daughter of the King said...

Excellent lesson Nichole!
Thanks for sharing!

My Army Brats and Me said...

Always love reading your blog.

Love Cindy

Luanne said...

You are so right about it being God's game--and His rules. It is so hard when life just doesn't seem "fair". He is our defender.

Edie said...

This really is a great analogy Nichole, and I don't even like sports. LOL. I do look forward to that after game party!

Keeping you lifted up. I hope all is well. :)

Karen Hossink said...

This is a wonderful analogy.
From one hockey fan to another - Keep your eyes on the Coach. He'll tell you exactly what to do!